2011-02-15

from the past

So I must go to France. Of course. It will do you some good, my mother told me. Yet I heard the fear in her voice. Whenever I visit my father, she is worried that I might not come home. It is strange and we have been discussing it for years, still it's just the way she is. C is stable, her mother called last night. Anxious woman with a high-pitched voice. She once told us that when she was young she tried to make it darker by drinking a lot of whisky. Then she understood, her face turned crimson red and she left us with our mouths open. She is a lovely lady, that's for sure.


So my booked tickets made me dig in my wardrobe, and I found treasures. Old photo albums. My father is a photographer, meaning I have every minute of my life from France memorised in thousands of photos. In our old house he had a installed a dark room in one of our walk-in-closets. So there is not only a lot of photos taken, there are a lot of photos developed. Result - hundreds of albums. Invaluable for me. I have always been a sucker for the written word, for the illustrated images. 


Found one of her. Fathers wife that is. From one of the parties in the old house. She wore long black silk dresses. When she finally put on some heels, became an amazon and whirled around in the house - as the perfect hostess she was. As a child I loved to hide under tables. When she came looking for me, the skirt always reminded me of running horses. The silk fabric waved and showed off her shapely legs. We were both as proud of her, father and I. She was the foundation, the supporting pillar of our happy family. After her decease, it just wasn't was the same.. 

4 comments:

  1. it's beautiful to have as many pictures as possible, cause we cannot be certain for everything... and yes, photos hold something important, whether it's good or bad... and yes, the memories.
    it's nice to know that C is okay... i hope you too are, dear... lot's of love.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. the images you create with your words are the ones i would like to collect and put in albums, you know.
    hope she is ok, hope you'll be fine as well.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so heartfelt, dear. You have a real way with words. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can feel my heart thudding in my chest as i read this post. i'm thinking of you, i'm sorry that i have been away.

    all of my love, xo

    ReplyDelete